POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Python and POVRay : Re: Python and POVRay Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:35:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Python and POVRay
From: Chris Huff
Date: 17 Mar 2001 11:56:46
Message: <chrishuff-981BC1.11511517032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3aad20ab$1@news.povray.org>, "Roberto Ferrer de Amorim"
<ram### [at] comdescontocombr> wrote:

> I see Python as a great language for that job because:
> - it can be highly OO - multiple inheritance is not a problem, and
> all data structures are high-level - it's easy to learn - it can be
> easily extended and/or embedded.

Are you sure multiple inheritance is a good thing? ;-)
I rather like Objective C, it is very easy to learn if you already know
C, and highly flexible. It's a bit different if you are used to C++ or
Java, though...

> If well designed, this CSDL can be great. However, I may be wrong,
> but I think it can be way easier using Python. I'm using Python for
> all the new projects on my job, and it fits great on most (if not
> all) programming needs I have - and it's faster to develop with than
> Java, PHP, Perl and such (at least for me).

Using Python to write the CSDL engine, or as the language itself?
The CSDL engine is going to be written in either C++ or Objective C...I
would prefer Obj-C (for one thing, it would make creating a GUI for the
Mac version much easier), but C++ may be better for cross-platform
reasons (there is OpenStep available, though...so cross-platform use is
possible). I will start off by creating a framework like the one you are
making in Python...the CSDL interpreter will come later, but the
framework may be useful by itself.
I'm also thinking that maybe this should be a "C-like Simulation
Description Language", and not a POV-specific thing, just a language
designed for manipulating 3D objects.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><